Wednesday, 11 May 2011

Insha'Allah

As a new Muslim, I was often amused by the frequent use of the phrase “Insha’Allah” (translated as “God Willing”, or “If God wills”). However, over time I have come to be so blessed by using this in my speech. Over the last few months of using and hearing it, I have learned some valuable lessons and benefits. These are the things it has taught me so far…

To make plans “insha’Allah”, one brings Allah (swt) into one’s daily life; one includes Him in one’s plans and allows Him into one’s consciousness. Perhaps I can say, it is a form of Dhikrullah (remembrance of God), because one gives Him space in one’s life, speech and thoughts. The believer keeps in mind that He is present as they go about their daily life, and that He has the final say over all things which happen.

This leads me to another thing I learnt – to say “insha’Allah” one submits to Allah Ta’ala’s Will for one’s life; it helps one to learn to trust in Him. If something one plans does not go as it was planned, it is clear that Allah did not will it to happen; that He has something better in mind for us. He is Al-Alim, the All-Knowing, and so sees further than us beyond the horizon of the present.

When I began to use the phrase “Insha’Allah” a lot, I began to see these benefits. Apart from giving Allah Ta’ala control over my life – “handing over the reins” so to speak, I felt more relaxed. And although I was disappointed when some things happened against my plans, I saw the benefits in the end, knowing He had something better.

To say “insha’Allah” I give space for my plans to be more flexible. In a way, it helps my self-esteem, because if I had said I was going to do something, period, and it didn’t turn out to be done, I could have easily felt as if I had been unfaithful to my promise, making me feel bad about myself. With regards to others’ promises which go unfulfilled, if they said “insha’Allah”, I found that this was able to cultivate a better sense of understanding – and even forgiveness  for them if I was left in the lurch. Instead, I just understood that Allah had other, even better plans.

A word of caution: one cannot use this phrase as an excuse to be lazy or shirk one’s responsibility, but, coupled with a sense of duty, it will surely give one a realistic view on life. No, our plans won’t always be fulfilled; “life can get in our way” sometimes! But it is all under control of the One Who made us.

Two simple examples from my own experience… One week I was unable to go to the madrassah, and was really disappointed. The next week when I went, I found out that the other teacher was absent, and so my teacher was loaded with two sets of children. She said it was so hectic that she wouldn’t have had time to see me at all.  I didn’t know this, but Allah Ta’ala did! He arranged it so well so both of us would benefit. How did I benefit? Well… I studied by myself, and got more done!

Then one night there was class at the masjid. I went with my one friend as usual, and we prayed maghrib in congregation. By the time class started, I was in doubt whether my wudhu had broken and was also really tired and a little faint, as I was at madrassah that afternoon and went straight to my friend’s house. I had missed my usual tea and hadn’t yet eaten supper. In class I was half-wishing to go before Isha and perform it at home. Then after class, my friend said she would like to go home quite early, as she also didn’t want to stay longer for some reasons. Wow, I thought, Allah (swt) is really amazing! He planned it once again so both of us were happy!

And indeed Allah knows best!

Until next time… insha’Allah J

Saadiqah
(*

No comments:

Post a Comment