Saturday, 15 October 2011

Quick Decoration Idea - Kalimah Calligraphy

I just thought I’d share another homemade idea with all those who are interested in making art… (See also my May post “My ‘Allah’s Names’ Wall-Hanging Project” for the other idea J)

I was reading up about someone who painted Arabic calligraphy on their walls directly, and felt in the mood to do something similar. I wanted to write La Illaha Illa Allah, because it is one of my very favourite phrases I keep on finding myself repeating in thikr.  Yet, because I don’t expect to remain long where I am (hoping to soon move out again) I didn’t want to do a permanent job of it. I couldn’t see my non-Muslim parents being keen on having their soon-to-be spare room looking like a mosque! :-D

Then I came up with a quick idea, which brought a bit of cheer into my dreary and weary day – to write it on a transparent, plastic sheet, so that when it is on the wall, it looks like it is written directly on the wall. Not only that, but it is portable, and looks invisible on any wall – in any place.

So I first wrote out the script small in pencil on paper, in order to design it. Then I made a bigger size and pasted a plastic sheet over it (I cut out one from an old Flip File), tracing it on with a black permanent marker. After that, I stuck it up – and voila! There I had my script on the wall above my picture of Makka.


Of course, one can choose any phrase – and also make a better job of it, like putting a fake frame around it, or putting it up on a window. Feel inspired, inshallah!

Salaam
Saadiqah
(*

1 comment:

  1. Asalamu alaikum Warahmatulhi Wabarakatuhu

    Nice blog, 'Allaah Gave Us This Food' is my new bloglet come and have look, feel free to follow me OR comment. Thank you for your time.

    ReplyDelete