Monday, 07 November 2011

"Masha'Allah!"


ﺒﺴﻤ ﺎﷲ ﻠﺮﺤﻤﻦ ﻠﺮﺤﻳﻤ
This morning, I once again recalled to mind an episode which happened a few months ago. I had not related it before, but wanted to share it with you, as it makes me smile each time I remember that day… J

I was still living at the Home at the time; it was Ramadaan. Choosing to change my name to celebrate my becoming Muslim, I went out one wintery August day to apply for my new ID document – something I wanted to do for months already. I wore one of my favourite wrist-length khimars,  black in colour, along with a black robe – my most conservative outfit. Afterwards, having fetched me, the driver had some of his own business to attend to. As we walked down a busy town street, the drizzle falling in a gentle mist, we prepared to cross a narrow side street.

Suddenly I heard a man’s voice behind me: “Masha’Allah!” I turned, and saw a small group of men on the street corner, taking shelter under a roof  from the rain. One of them saw me look back, and smiled at me – probably the one who spoke. I lowered my gaze, turned and carried on walking, wondering why he behaved in the way he did.

Then I asked the driver if he knew, and he said that it was most likely due to the way I was dressed – in full, conservative hijab. The men, who were clearly Muslims, expressed their joy at seeing a woman in full hijab. To a modern Western mind, it may seem offensive: “Yes, they like their women to be shut up in oppressive secrecy!” but to me, it made my heart soar. I felt so truly liberated! Here I was, practising something I firmly stand for – modesty – and it was appreciated by men, whom, I believe, felt so tired of lowering their gaze in the face of the shameless female nudity of modern times. I felt respected by men; at the same time respecting them by covering. It reminded me that we as brothers and sisters – not only in the Deen, but in humanity –  must help each other on the good path. Judging from their remark, I must have brightened up their day.

One thing I’m sure of – they definitely brightened up mine.

Masha’Allah! J

Salaam
Saadiqah
(*

No comments:

Post a Comment