Saturday, 03 December 2011

The Blessings of Niyyah


ﺒﺴﻤ ﺎﷲ ﻠﺮﺤﻤﻦ ﻠﺮﺤﻳﻤ
I’ve been meaning to write this post for over a week already, but didn’t get around to it yet with all the book editing to do! At last I have found a chance to, early on this bright Saturday summer morning.

Before I get down to it, I would first like to wish all my Muslim brothers and sisters Muharram Mubarak! I make du’aa that Allah Ta’ala bless you abundantly this year of 1433 with all that your hearts desire, with all that is good for you, and with greater imaan and taqwa, ameen. And for any readers who are very recent reverts to Islam, or not yet Muslim but thinking about Islam with a greater love than before, I pray for you too, that Allah guide you into all Truth and grant you courage to take the big step, inshallah, ameen!

The idea I had for this post came about as an unexpected slip of the mind whilst performing wudhu one day. I was washing my hands, nose and mouth, my mind progressively wandering off, when suddenly the next moment I came to, I was wondering if I had said the niyyah for the fard (compulsory) of wudhu. I may have, but I didn’t remember… My mind was brought sharply to order when I was washing my arms. I wondered why my face felt so dry, looked into the mirror and oh my word – I forgot to wash my face! J

With dawning realisation I knew then why the niyyah (intention) was so important to have whilst doing any action – it helped one to remember why one was doing it. All the time I knew this mentally from all the fiqh studies, but now it was the first time I really experienced its significance. If I didn’t need to make niyyah, I may have forgotten about washing my face until drying myself.

Niyyah is a mind-activator; it is an awakener. Without the niyyah, actions become automatic and meaningless; the mind becomes dull and forgetful. Niyyah is a focus; it helps us to remember to dedicate the actions to Allah SWT, for His pleasure alone. In a way, it is a form of thikr, because in making it, we remember Allah. It enables life to become rich and meaningful – every action becomes worship.

Salaam
Saadiqah
(*

No comments:

Post a Comment