Tuesday, 12 April 2011

My First Visit to a Masjid

It was six days after my reversion when I had the chance to go to the masjid (mosque) for the first time. How excited – and nervous – I was! One of my new friends was attending a Monday evening class taught by the maulana at her local masjid, which was the second-closest one to where I stayed. These specific classes were aimed at those who are going on hajj, but all were welcome, so she invited me to come along. As it was late February, and still summer, maghrib salaah was performed first before class, then Isha salaah afterwards, before we went home.

This particular masjid is really beautiful – simple but spacious with good facilities. What I found really great, is that the women’s section is not relegated to a basement or gallery, but is next to the men’s main section, in a corner at the back, on the same floor. There is a side-entrance for us, and a door leading to the foyer. Despite not being able to see the imam and the mihrab from where we prayed, the walls surrounding our area did not go all the way to the top, but gave a view of the high roof – and the sound of prayer descended around us in a beautiful way. The classroom was off the foyer to the side. We women sat in this room, which leads into the men’s section via double doors, which were opened for class. We had a view of the maulana only; the men sat out of our view behind the doors in their prayer area.

This particular first evening, I was looking all around me in awe. I thought to myself: “I am actually in a mosque! I never thought I would ever find myself in one!” I was continuously waiting to be instructed what to do, and followed what I was told. It was fairly hot, so the the fans blew furiously above our heads. I had only practised salaah sporadically for one week before I reverted, along with the six days behind me, so I had to still use papers with the Arabic on for certain prayers. I think I only knew the Fatiha by heart as well as the short Tasbeehs of ruku and sajdah (bowing and prostrating). When I recited the Tashahhud and Salawat (Durood), I needed to glance at my papers on the floor next to me. The funny thing was, that with the fans blowing, my papers kept fluttering away and I had to hold them down with my bag! I was red in the face with self-consciousness, and when I got stuck I just tried to pick up from where I could to keep up with the others. Because I was new to it, I prayed slower than the rest. I was not to worry though – I was soon able to pick up pace in the weeks to come…

Despite my being SO self-conscious, it was an incredible experience for a new Muslim like me to pray Fardh Salaah in unison with the others. The mu’adhin and imam both had beautiful voices; I felt like I was in Paradise as the chants were so unearthly and pure, echoing around and outside! They seemed to spiral outwards and upwards, before returning to embrace us – like Heaven and Earth were joined in that blessed moment… I felt such peace.

It is said that to pray in congregation is far more powerful than on one’s own; indeed it is! I felt such strength within my heart and soul. What a communion it is – with Allah Ta’ala and with the ummah.

The first class was also a wonderful experience – even though the lesson was a little bewildering for a revert still on the bottom rungs of Islamic education! The maulana learned I was a new revert and spoke about me to the class, welcoming me warmly to the fold of Islam. One thing I love about being Muslim, is the use of the title “Sister…” or “Brother…” I really felt as if I was home with my family! But I was even more touched when he said that I must pray for them – that due to me being a revert, my sins were removed from me and I was as sinless as a newborn baby, hence my du’as would be powerful. Immediately I started thinking of the possible sins I may have committed in the first six days as a Muslimah! J It was a truly humbling, lump-in-the-throat moment; I felt near to tears…

That night I fell asleep with a smile in my heart, strengthened in my new Faith, as I would always feel each time I stepped into that hallowed place of prostration.

No comments:

Post a Comment